My instaphotos

Monday, August 12, 2013

PhD in Skin Science

This is a story of my experience with dermatologists. Or more specifically, A dermatologist.

Happened about two years ago. Now don't get me wrong, dermatologists ARE effective, as far as my experience went, but you have to be consistent and cooperative to maintain your complexion.

Alright, my skin doctor was in Ipoh, one of my best friend's brother was seeing him so when I was at her house visiting she and her mum recommended me to see the doctor. I was like, ooo-kay-lah, since I was kind of desperate then already :/ (still don't know whether to laugh at myself cynically or move on already)

The dermatologist I went to, Dr Lim at Ipoh Garden South
The place is quite near to the Jusco at Kinta, where everybody used to hang out every weekend and bump into each other a few times per day because the place was so small. I think the same is still happening right now? Thank God we moved to KL :D :D :D

So the first time I went I was looked keenly over by Dr Lim with a hand tool that looks like a fly trap with the hypnotizing lights, but don't worry you don't have to look into the lights she just uses the tool to inspect your skin in detail ;) After that I was sent out again to wait for her prescription. There are always plenty of patients waiting patiently during the weekends, so after that when I went back to see her it was on weekdays, or else you'd be waiting for at least half an hour up to an hour. Seems like plenty of people were like me!

Her prescription: (prices are vague, I'm spouting from 2-year-memory)

a cleanser (RM100)
benzoyl peroxide 5%, although not in Benzac form, they provide it in
little round medicine containers (RM15-30?)
Acne treatment gel for night use, I still have this brand-new
tube as I didn't finish her course (Rm30+?)
The instructions were: use cleanser + benzoyl peroxide in the daytime and cleanser + acne treatment gel at night. my first thoughts were "what? NO toner??!!" but now I'm pretty used to it and have never turned back to using toners ever since, even after stopping her prescription course.

doxycycline (used to be green)
doxycycline (mine was in green)
 As for the doxy, I had to take it 3 times a day after meals. Doxycycline is considered an antibiotic, so it isn't advisable to take it for more than 6 months. I was on it for 8 months.

Diane 35
Diane35 is a contraceptive and can be used for my skin problem, targeting the hormones to balance it out. I was extremely hesitant to use it, so I decided to buy one box and Google it at home. After a horrifying research of its side effects i decided not to take it (you can always Google it yourself).

My first bill came up to RM300, including a first-time consultant fee. I would say that it is relatively reasonable? Consequent visits were always around RM80 as the cleanser can be used for a long, long time.


So what happened? My skin peeled, got so fragile that walking against the wind was extremely harsh and sensitive to the face, and it magically cleared up within a couple of months. The cleanser is extremely drying on the skin, so, BE WARNED.

It was Chinese New Year. My store of products was drying up (at that time I was unaware that doxy is sold at pharmacies, and that the benzoyl peroxide IS Benzac) but the Chinese New Year holidays meant that the skin clinic was closed. What happened was devastating, the acne came back with a force and after the week I hurried back to Ipoh to buy my Doxy and Benzoyl peroxide but it was too late already.

I was put back on the prescription but somehow my skin never cleared up and remained the same, so after another half a year, I stopped the Doxy and went back to my desperate quest of having clear skin, which only worked when I started acne.org, which was a year later :/ (read up here to find out how)

SO right now I'm happily enjoying my clear skin, I hope to update you guys about trying new products (I'm currently using a facial brush similar to Clarisonic's Mia and Hada Labo).

Cheers!


At an openrice event the other day :)



1 comment:

  1. i've once prescribed with diane-35.. and i took it without firstly google it.. and after finish the diane-35, my skin getting worse and worse... it also become more sensitive... i'm so regret to have used it without acknowledge about the effect first..

    ReplyDelete