My instaphotos

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Too fast too furious

I'm graduating tomorrow. Me. As in moi. ich. wo. saya. 
AS IN this time tomorrow, my status changes from "student" into "fresh grad". officially.

went to take my graduation portrait with my darling Phui Loo

When did this happen? It's as if age snuck up upon me when I was sleeping (and trust me, since I sleep alot, it did have alot of chances to sabo me: "She's STILL sleeping?! Lets make time go super fast, just for fun!") Now I know how Rip van Winkle felt when he woke up and just like that *snap of fingers* 100 years had passed.

I still feel not a day over 18! Yesterday when I went to the Big Bad Wolf bookfair none of the bank marketing officers looked at me and my sister. Barely glanced at us, and I remember feeling so proud, as if I had won a secret personal contest "HAH! I don't look like I'm over 21!" but anyways, I digress.

Tomorrow, when I walk across the stage. Tomorrow, when I'll receive a scroll of blank paper from the Dean (the official certs come later). Tomorrow, when (I hope) my mum and dad will dispense tears of happiness. Tomorrow, I'll be seeing all of you.

I'll finish with this light and enjoyable poem by Jenny Joseph, called "When I am Old". Ok lah I'm being a little dramatic--entering society is different from leaving society but there's plenty of similarities between the two, plus I'm leaving my own society of students what! <3

When I Am Old.

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,
And I shall spend my pension
on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals,
and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired,
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells,
And run my stick along the public railings,
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens,
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat,
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
Or only bread and pickle for a week,
And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats
and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
And pay our rent and not swear in the street,
And set a good example for the children.
We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me
are not too shocked and surprised,
When suddenly I am old 
and start to wear purple!

Cheers!



1 comment: