My instaphotos

Monday, May 20, 2013

Skin Estheticians

This is NOT an advertorial:

Before blogging about this I googled "skin dermatologists" and "beauticians" and "facials". Can't help it. Comes with the package of being a student--used to doing research hehe.

So what I found was that the term "dermatologist" was referring to a person whose specialty is in skin health and disease, BUT with "medical" and "surgical" aspects.

the one who does your botox is
a dermatologist

Those who we meet at beauty parlors are actually "estheticians", or "beauticians", who do facials, hair and nails and everything on the surface.

the one who does facials are estheticians,
coincidentally mine looks a little like her

Well, I've met both. However, I'll be talking about the estheticians here.

When my skin was acting up a couple of years ago, I went to a facial parlor, Serene Aesthetics for facials. The first time I went there I was duped la of course, not used to the estheticians there who will basically bully those with no willpower (me) and too young to know better (me).


I bought a package costing me RM800 -.-
which included:
-cleansing products (cleaner, toner, moisturizer; they use Soskin products)
Ahem this is not mine la. I used up mine long time ago, It was also under the soothing range with cucumber
extract, and it was transparent bottles, but they smelt seriously good.
Used this cleanser
and this toner


-6 facials (3 each for two different kinds of facials)
-6 eye treatments
-6 neck massages
-and a lucky draw thrown in free

All in all it was worth it, another esthetician who was looking through my details when I went back a year later for the third facial opened her eyes slightly bigger and told me a little begrudgingly that I got quite a good deal.

You know, with the tone that your boss gives when she/he underestimated you but you give her/him, a great pitch and she/he goes, "Not bad, huh."

I hate facials.
My pain tolerance level is like 36.75% so everytime the exfoliation moment comes I cringe and sweat and tear a little until it's over. sigh.

BUT it is good. It clears out your skin so you won't have any dirty residue left over.
However, I have to emphasize over here that the good old facials did NOT clear out my skin.

theyr originally don't allow for pictures but I curi-curi take this one
when the esthetician was out! ahaha
 The first couple of times I went did not help my skin even though I switched to their products and was doing everything they told me to. The last time in 2012 that I went back, the esthetician "persuaded" me to buy a facial costing RM238 (I had a RM100 discount for my birthday) and the aftermaths was the worst ever that I encountered. My skin was super splotchy and a little bit swollen and it looked like it had internal bleeding so I didn't go back until this year when my skin cleared. Currently, I'm finishing the last of my facial package.

The one thing that I dislike about facials is the fact that they bully you into buying their packages.

E: "Buy our package it has A, B, C, D, and E worth RM 1200 but we're giving you a discount you pay us RM750 only."

 Me: "....Can I go home and think about it?"

E: "It's only available today, decide now la"

Me: "...I'm not so sure about it..."

E: "That's fine, you can just deposit some money and we'll keep the package for you!"

Me: "(more firmly) I don't think I will buy the package"

E: "then how about this product? I think it's very suitable for your skin"

You see what I'm getting on about? At the end I switched the topic to talk about when's my next appointment and shot off like a terrified rabbit, thinking about the fact that I shouldn't be feeling this way as I'm paying them money. sigh.

"I will tell them firmly next time that I do not want to buy anything"

And the next time I go it ends up the same. Don't bully people who don't want to buy your things la people!
Cheers,







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for encouraging me to do more commenting. I think the main reason I don’t is because I’m thinking other people already have thought of things in which they think they are perfect but i'll suggest you to go with Estheticians in Barrie ,This team have very good experience !

    ReplyDelete